Friday, April 2, 2010

Never a dull moment ....

So, the other day we were busy doing chores around the house and poor little Gage was not feeling well. He was just lying on the couch zoning out on the TV. But, he really started getting into the movie Austrailia with Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman (yeah, I know, kinda of a weird thing for an almost 3 year old to be into, but Gage is definitely not your average kiddo!) Anyhow, after returning from the back room, this is what we found ...

Gage had gone into his room and pulled out his horse.
Apparently wanting to be like the people on the TV = )

Soon after, he ventured off again to return with his trust shotgun. Such a cowboy!
It just cracks me up the things kids do and the way their little minds work.
We are also still working hard on the potty training at our house. First off, let me start by saying Gage is oh so smart. You can ask him a million different ways of where the pee and poo are supposed to go and he will always tell you the correct answer - NOT IN MY PANTS, IN THE POTTY! He'll even say it with much gusto and a big smile. However, his actions do not always match his words. The other day, not 10 minutes after he had sat on the potty to do his duties, he comes waddling into the kitchen while I am doing dishes. He is walking funny and has no underpants on. As he turns around, I notice he is sporting a little brown tail. Yuck! So, I ask, "Gage? Where are your underpants?" He then giggles and takes off running for his room. I am yelling at him to "STOP!" because I do not want his little tail to dislodge and land on the floor. Little did I know that was the least of my worries! As I catch up to the little red flash and start explaining that he needs to sit on the potty ASAP to finish his poo poo duties, what do I see? Underpants on the carpeted floor of Gage's room along with three big turds. Are you kidding me? "Gage! Why did you poop on the floor?" "Because mommy, I'm not supposed to poop in my pants. I need to keep them clean!" Grrrrr. So, I set the little squirt on the potty and begin the clean up. As I'm doing this with steam coming out of my ears, I hear this sweet little voice coming from the bathroom singing the song from the Elmo Potty video ... "Accidents happen ... that's what they say ... accidents happen ... and that's okay ..." Even though I was pretty angry, that little song did bring a little smile to my face = ) Oh, I am so ready for this potty training stuff to be a distant memory!

Then there's always silly conversations that strike a chord with me and make me appreciate just how sweet the boys can be and proud of their attempted problem solving abilities. Each day on our drive home we drive over what has become known in our household as "The Pooey River." You see, the Kansas River is not very clean and is often somewhat foul smelling. The fish and game department even recommends not eating fish caught in the river. There's lot of run-off pollution from upstream that contaminates the water. Anyhow, several of our trips over the river have brought up questions by the boys as to why the river is pooey and how to make it not pooey. So, I try my best to explain how the river got that way and ask them how they think it should be taken care of. Here's my favorite theory they've got going right now. Gage, "They need to pull the plug so all the pooey water goes down the drain." Riley, "Yes! And then we can fill up a big, huge bucket with clean water from a hose. It will be really heavy, so we will need a big crane to lift it up and dump it in. Then we can swim in it!" Oh, if only it were that easy! But, I love that they are trying to think of ways to make it right. Who knows, maybe someday they'll keep thinking like this and solve some real world issues! Anyhow, they make mommy proud just the same = )

Along this same line, we have been talking to the boys a lot about taking care of our planet. Such things as re-using items, reducing the amount of trash we make, and conserving water. We've also talked about recycling, but hadn't done too much of it because -- well .... because -- well, mostly because we have been lazy. However, thanks to a great new service in Lawrence we have stopped the laziness! If you live around here and haven't heard, Deffenbaugh is now offering curbside recycling pickup for only $4.95/month. They even supply the recycling material container and pick it up the same day as your regular trash pick up. Even better, the items do not have to be separated. So easy! So, we've started this and it's lead to many fun questions from the boys and learning experiences about what things are made of and how items can be recycled. Riley even caught me the other day when I almost inadvertantly threw away a milk jug. He screamed, "Nooooooo, mom that's PLASTIC!" at the top of his lungs like it was life or death. That made me laugh = ) Thank goodness we have him to keep us in check!



Also, my sweet Riley said one of the nicest things to me the other day. We were snuggling on the couch watching cartoons, just being lazy for a bit. I had my glasses on and noticed he kept staring at me. Then, out of nowhere, he gently reaches over and takes my glasses off and says, "There momma, now you're more beautiful." Awwwww, talk about melting momma's heart!

Finally, please send some prayers out to our little buddy Cooper. He is having a heart catheter today and will be finding out how soon his next open heart surgery will be. He is such a tough little guy, I know he will be fine. But, extra prayers to help him through are so appreciated.



No comments: