Friday, August 8, 2008

It's always something ...

Well, we went to the doctor this morning because Gage gave himself a big boo boo. At daycare yesterday he grabbed a metal curtain rod, stuck it in his mouth, and before Gloria could get to him, fell down jamming the rod into the side of his mouth. We weren't too worried about it yesterday as it didn't bleed much and he didn't really seem too bothered by it. However, as the evening went on, his cheek became more swollen. This morning it was so swollen he was having a hard time eating without biting his cheek. Ouch! Plus, a big red circular area had developed on the outside of cheek as well. So, I called for an appointment and the receptionist said they couldn't get us in until tomorrow. What?! Huh-uh. "I don't think so, let me talk to Nurse Debbie." We love Nurse Debbie. She said, "Can you get him in here in about 30 minutes from now?" "We'll be there," was my obvious response. Like I said, LOVE Nurse Debbie = )

So, anyhow, we are now at the doc's office. We get to meet our new doctor, Dr. Kumurri, for the first time. (Our regular doctor, Dr. Vaughn, moved to a new facility so she could spend more time with her kids - can't blame her, but we really miss her!) Anyhow, this is not really how I had envisioned our first meeting with the new doc, but that's how it worked out. Thankfully, she is awesome and Gage immediately fell in love with her and flirted almost during the entire appointment! Many smiles and "hi's" and even little love taps. He is gonna be such a romeo!

Ok, back to the ouchie. While Dr. Kumurri pushed, pulled, pressed and pinched on his cheek and the inside of his mouth, he stayed completely calm and just let her do her thing. I tell ya, he is one tough little guy. He even opened up and said "aaahhh" a couple of times to give a good look. I was amazed. Thankfully, she does not think the cut will need stitches. There are already white soft scabs forming, meaning his mouth is already trying to heal itself. There was a pocket of fluid that had developed that needed to be lanced and drained. This part did create a few tears from Gage, but that immediately stopped once she was done. Again, I was amazed. So, for now, he is on some anti-biotics and a soft diet to help ward off any infection and avoid getting food trapped in the open wound. We are to watch the area for any sign of an abcess and have a follow up appointment scheduled for next Wednesday.

As we left the doctor's office, Gage smiled, waved, and said "bye, bye" to Dr. Kumurri, Nurse Debbie, and the receptionists out front. Can you believe it? After what had to be a pretty uncomfortable experience to say the least, he is still just happy-go-lucky. This probably sounds bad, but if this had to happen to one of my kids, I am glad it was Gage. I can't imagine how difficult the appointment would have been with Riley. I love my Riley-boy, but he doesn't do anything like this without kicking and screaming and putting up a helluva fight. Definitely too much of his mother in him on that front. Luckily Gage is more laid back like his daddy. = )

Speaking of the boys' daddy, Corey is heading to Pratt today to help his brother put up a pole barn and/or a lean-to, depending upon weather and material delivery. So, it'll be just me and the kiddos this weekend. I'll let you know if I keep my sanity being a single parent for a couple of days!

In other news, Mr. Riley has really taken on a new independence lately and likes to try to tell mom how things are going to be around the house. This obviously leads to many battles of the wills. When he oversteps his bounds, I often tell him to stop being a sassafrass or suffer the consequences. Well, I've apparantly said the word sassafrass enough times now that he has started to mimic it and finds it very entertaining to say. However, when Riley says it, it comes out "sassy ass." Yep, I should've seen that one coming. One of these days I'll learn ...

Well, that's all for now. Wish us all luck this weekend!

1 comment:

janie said...

Jenny, that video played rihgt away on my computer.
Oh my gosh what a dancer, we loved it of course.
later, love Mom :)