Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Gage's World of "No" + Riley sings ...

Oh my goodness, Gage is so totally in the "no" stage of speaking right now. Every question we ask him ends with this answer: a drawn-out nooooooo with his sweet little voice raising at the end of the word like he's asking a question back to us. Unless, of course, you ask him if he'd like a banana - -then you get "nana, nana, nana, nana..." until he finally has a mouthful of his beloved yellow fruit. The boy is definitely bananas about bananas (thanks Grandma Soukup!) But, if you ask, "Gage, do you like your banana?" The answer will most definitely be an unflappable, "noooooo?"

For more on the "no" front -- if he is doing something naughty, for example pulling all of mom's pyrex dishes and tupperware out of the lazy susan and is told "no-no," he will look right back at you, point both forefingers at you like a cowboy with two revolvers and - with emphasis - repeat the "no-no" back to you. Yep, I've been a party to the "no-no" showdown numerous times. The hard part is, he's so darn cute when he does this, it's all I can do not to smile and/or giggle. However, the cuteness quickly wears thin when Gage then calmly goes back to doing exactly what he is not supposed to. Aaarrggh! So, now you tell him a firm "NO" and give his little hand a disciplinary smack and he looks back at you square in the eyes and says "NOOOOOOO MOMMY!" You can't blame the little guy, but good grief, please just listen to mommy in the first place, ok dude? Anyhow, I know that all toddlers go through this phase and this too shall pass, yada, yada, yada ... but, I just had to vent a little bit. Because, Lord knows if I try to talk about this out loud, I'll be greeted with even more "no's" from my little redhead!

Riley, on the other hand, has a vocabulary that is just exploding! He still has some issues with the pronunciation of many words, but for the most part, he is doing so well. I am so proud of him! Last night, he let me know he was proud of me, too. Well, kind of. I redecorated the boys bathroom. It now has a shower curtain with bold, colorful circles with scribbles on the interior of them like a child would make if they were trying to trace the circle. A big improvement over the dated beige curtain with purple and violet flowers. Anyhow, when he went in there for the first time he said, "WOW MOM, COOL!" Just like that! It made me happy that he even noticed -- he is a guy after all. But, the fact that he was so excited about it, on top of noticing, was really awesome to me. I love it when my boys are happy =)

Another indication of his improving language skills was him singing Happy Birthday to Kari last night. He grabbed the phone and sang right into it. And, instead of the usual "Happy Happy You You" of his previous attempts, he has added a word so it is now "Happy Birfday You You!" Is it crazy that I get this stoked over even the littlest baby steps like this? Oh well, if it is, who cares ... I LOVE IT!. Aunt Kari did, too = )

In other news, those of you that live in the Lawrence area, please look for an article in the LJWorld on Saturday or Sunday and watch the Channel 6 news Sunday at 10:00. There will be pieces featuring Kristi and her husband Terry talking about their son Cooper and the charity Cooper's Cause. There's also a link on the left side of my blog that will give you more info about Cooper's situation and the upcoming fundraiser events. Check it out, please...

Well, that's all for now, we'll see what new joys my boys have waiting for me!

No comments: