Friday, April 15, 2011

Scared. More scared than I have ever been ...

Well, Riley's biopsy results are in and they are definitely not what we had hoped for. Far from it. According to the biopsy report I have in front of me, the growing mole on his hand was determined to be a Junctional Nevus, Spitzoid Type, Extending to Lateral Margins. The report then goes on to mention things like Atypical junctional nests of plaomorphic melanocytes with melanophages intermixed and parakeratosis. Sound like jibberish to you? Yeah, me, too. But the few things that did stick out are the words Atypical and the ones starting with the "mela" prefix. As in melanoma. As in cancer. I think I'm going to be sick. Sorry, I'll try to keep composed and coherent here, but I'm making no promises. I am seriously beside myself right now. So back on point, from what I can tell from my conversation with our primary care physician and some extensive internet research, this basically means that if it is not already melanoma, it would most likely progress to that quickly. She said this type can be very aggressive in children. So, they have scheduled an appointment for us at Children’s Mercy on Tuesday the 19th at 8 am (fun side note, this happens to be little Gage's 4th birthday - Happy Birthday, buddy.) It will depend on the severity of the situation whether or not they excise the lesion immediately at that appointment or if they will schedule a follow up visit for the Spitzoid Nevus to be removed at a later date. Please send your prayers for our little Riley. He's strong and a fighter, but we'll take all the help we can get right now. If any of you have any experience with this, please let me know. Thank you.

No comments: