Monday, April 4, 2011

Biopsy fun ...

Oh Riley, he never ceases to amaze me.

So, we went to the doctor Friday morning to have the mole I mentioned earlier biopsied. As usual, Riley made sure to test all of the equipment in the room while we were waiting for the doctor. I swear, this child can have just as much fun in a doctor's office as he does in a toy store. Anyhow, once the doctor and nurse came in and explained everything they were going to do, Riley was ready for the show to get on the road.

First they cleaned his hand with iodine. Then they asked him to look at me.
"No. I wanna watch."
"Riley, go ahead and turn your head over here and look at me for a minute."
"No. I wanna watch."

Then, Nurse Debbie again gently urged him to look away.
Next came the firm, "No. I. Want. To. Watch."

Ok, then. So, Riley watched as they put the long flexible needle with the numbing solution into his palm. No flinch. No tears. He did mention that it pinched a little. Then came the circular blade that looked a bit like a hole punch that the doctor would use to make a small circular incision. Again Riley was advised he might want to turn his head. This time, no answer, he just kept intently staring at what was about to happen next. Not worried, just interested. Even when the blood started to pool a little bit, he wasn't phased. Then, the doctor got some tweezers to pull up the flap of skin and some scissors to cut the sample. At this point, Riley declares, "Mom, I'm getting sweaty all over!" And, sure enough, in an instant he was drenched from head to toe. The nurse put a cool, wet cloth on the back of his neck and he took a drink of water, and that was it. He was fine. He continued to watch as the doctor used some silver nitrate to cauterize the area to stop the bleeding. He thought this was fascinating!

All in all it went well. The nurse and doctor kept commenting on how well he did. Seriously, the kid didn't move a muscle. He is much better at this stuff than his ol' fraidy cat momma, that's for sure!

Anyhow, that's all for now. I look forward to hearing from the doctors once the test results are in. I'm sure everything is fine, but will be praying in the meantime.

1 comment:

web designer southampton said...

This is informative and important feeling. I think this information so use full. Thanks share this nice post.