Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Children's Mercy Visit ...

Okay, so let's get the important stuff out of the way. Considering the possibilities, I think we got some pretty darn good news today. I'll preface this with an apology if I do not use the exact correct medical terminology. There was a lot going on today and Riley was feeling pretty apprehensive so I know I got the gist of it all, but some of the vocabulary may be a bit off. Anyhow, the doctors at Children's Mercy (3 different ones saw Riley today) confirmed that the mark on his left palm is a Spitz Nevus. At this time, their exact words were, "There is nothing to get real scared about right now." They don't think that it has progressed to melanoma cancer yet, but won't know for sure until more pathology is done on the biopsied sample (again, sorry if those are not the correct medical terms!) Anyhow, we are going back in 2 weeks for them to remove it and will hopefully know more for sure then. However, they did mention it maybe up to a month before their panel of doctors can obtain the original biopsy sample, review it, and discuss it. We'll just wait and see and keep thinking positive! I know the staff here is amazing and are the best at their jobs, so I have faith that everything will work out fine.

Okay, now for the fun part of the trip. Although, we have a couple of friends whose children's lives were literally saved by the fine doctors at CMH, we had never actually visited the hospital. Let me put it this way, it is AWESOME! From the moment we walked in, people were so nice and helpful. And then there is the decor. So fun! It sure helped to give our little guy a much needed distraction! I am sure I looked like a dorky tourist snapping a bunch of photos, but I couldn't help it. This place is a piece of art!
 
Some beautiful, kid-approved sculptures hanging from the ceiling.

Ocean life on the floor.

Wall art made of puzzle pieces fascinated Riley!

Daddy and Riley entertaining themselves in the waiting room.

We even got to see my old office assistant, Savannah, who now works at the hospital.
As fate would have it, another of my old office assistants, Kristin, also works here, but we didn't get to see her as she works nights. 

Riley thought this clock tower in front of the hospital was amazing. He had to climb up to get a picture with it = )

 We had to take a photo of this building across the street since it had Gage's name on it
wanted to let little brother know we were thinking about him, too = )

Riley having a good time riding in a wagon on the way out to the car. He was happy to be getting to go back home and see Grandma and Papa Soukup who were helping out with Gage.

Lots of love for grandma. 

A little love for Papa, too.

So, that's where we are at right now. I am feeling so much relief after this visit. There is still a slight chance that there might be some trouble, so I am keeping that in mind. But, for now I am just so thankful that this is hopefully not nearly as bad as we originally thought. We'll keep you posted as we find out more. Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers!

1 comment:

Leah said...

We're all still hoping for the best for your Riley. I love how you love your children, Jenny! It was so sweet how you took a picture of the building across the street. :)
I'm glad the visit to CMH went well, and that you received encouraging news from the doctors there. Cool, cool hospital, too ... great pictures!
Keeping you all in our prayers.