Friday, September 19, 2008

Good News/Bad News ... I guess it's all about Perspective

Well, let's start off with the boys. Riley and Gage have continued to have fevers all week. They typically start low-grade fevers in the afternoon at daycare and they get worse as the evening goes on. Tylenol helps, but the fevers don't seem to break until around 3 or 4 in the morning. So, the boys have continued to be up and down each night this week. I finally ended up taking them to the doctor Thursday afternoon after dealing with this for 4 days and nights. She checked them for ear infections, strep, and something else that escapes me at the moment. Their ears are clear - - not even any fluid. The cultures came back on the others and no problems there, either. So, it looks like it is just some pesky little virus that won't seem to hurry up and burn itself out. I guess it's good news that it's not strep or an ear infection, but it is a little frustrating that it's something that can't be treated and just has to run it's course. But, Dr Kimurri did point out that the virus must not be too nasty since the boys were able to act as wiley as they were. Riley, as usual, showed signs of becoming a future gynecologist by pulling the stirrups out of the table and demonstrating the different positions the metal legs could be locked into. He also enjoyed turning the stirrup warmer on and off and inspecting various items in the room with the doctor's light. Gage was little a monkey climbing up on the chairs and exam table and had a total blast crinkling the safety paper on the table. Thankfully our doctor and her nurse are very patient people who love kids! Well, here's to hoping the doc's right and we're almost at the end of this darn bug. Riley actually slept pretty well last night, but Gage still had some issues. We'll see how tonight goes ...

I also had a doctor appointment this week to do the normal annual woman's check-up stuff. I have been feeling extremely tired lately. I know, I know, everyone tells me that normal -- I'm supposed to be tired after working full-time and chasing a 2.5 and 1.5 year old around. But, I really haven't felt like myself for awhile now and am tired to the point of utter exhaustion on a daily basis. Also, as most of you know, I've been really struggling with my weight since having the kids. I have been very conscious of my diet for a long time now, weighing and measuring everything. Of course, I cheat every now and then and enjoy some pizza or have an ice cream cone with my kids. But, I really try to limit this to special occasions only. Anyhow, I still have not been able to lose weight and have been really frustrated. Well, I finally know why -- my darn old body has turned against me. Apparently I have developed hypothyroidism. So, I guess that's bad news and good news. At least now I know what has been causing my fatigue and memory lapses and been making my weight struggle even more difficult. On top of this, we found out my cholesterol is through the roof. The thyroid issue can contribute to this along with heredity and diet. So, now I'm going to get some help. I'll be taking 2 prescriptions to help with these issues and am meeting with a dietician this weekend to help figure out a diet plan that will help get them both under control. I'm also starting at a new gym on October 1st, so hopefully the combination of all of these things will help me get back to being a healthy person. I am so hopeful, I really need to do this not only for myself, but especially for my kids. Wish me luck!

Here's a few pics of the boys from this weekend. The first two are of the boys playing with their favorite truck at Corey's parent's house. The last one is of Riley and Gage are showing off their matching Lightning McQueen shirts from Grandma (Nana) Soukup. I'm not usually much into cartoony clothes, but the boys LOVE the show Cars and Grandma's new shirts were a big hit!

One final note, Saturday is the Fun Run/Walk for Cooper's Cause. Thank you to all of you who have already signed up to participate, this is for a really awesome cause. For those of you who haven't yet submitted an entry, there's still time = )! You can enter at the race site which is at the trails by the movie theatre on the south end of town. Click on the links on the left of my site for more info. I'll be at the 1 mile turnaround. Looking forward to seeing you all there. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

It sounds like you've got a lot to deal with right now. Hopefully a good diet and exercise program will make a big difference. Good luck.