Sunday, September 28, 2008

Crazy as Usual ...

Well, the boys finally broke their fever Monday night only to have Riley come down with the pukey flu on Wednesday. Yuck! Thankfully it was only the 24 hour kind and Gage somehow avoided catching it. But, poor Riley, he has such a dumb, mean mommy. The evening he got sick he only ate about half of his dinner and was being just whiny and clingy. Corey was working late, so I shooed the boys to the backyard after our meal so I could get everything cleaned up (which there was plenty of, it's amazing the mess these two little fellas can conjure up even while being confined to their chairs!) Anyhow, back on point - - I was getting frustrated as Riley was out there whining and fussing every other minute over things that would typically be nothing of special exception (a fly landed on his arm - waaaah, Gage had both sand shovels - tears, one of the dogs licked his face - meltdown.) So, I finally told him if he's going to be such a crybaby to just come inside and chill in a chair with his blankie until I was done cleaning. It wasn't soon after that that the vomiting started. Ugggh! Wow, I felt like such a jerk! Here I was upset because his tempermant was interfering with my cleanup and the poor kid was sick. Luckily, Corey got home soon after this so I could begin to baby and take care of him like he needed. Sorry, didn't mean to blab on about this, but this blog is a bit of my confessional sometimes. It just really bothers me that I didn't see he was actually sick. I try so hard to be the best mom I can be, but I really failed there. I'll just have to remember this lesson in the future when he's having an off day and do my best to handle the situation with more love and thoughtfulness. Dishes, floors and tables can wait ... my babies shouldn't have to wait for my love.

Ok, enough about that. Corey stayed home with the boys on Friday as daycare was closed so Gloria could go back to Hays for a friend's wedding. One of their projects for the day was to go to Vanderbilt's and get daddy some new work boots. He is a brave soul taking on this task with the gruesome twosome in tow. Corey decided during this outing that Gage's new nickname is to be Taz, as in Tasmanian Devil. I guess he was a whirlwind of activity trekking down the aisles and opening shoe boxes like they were Christmas presents. Bless his heart, amidst all of this he did manage to find a really nice pair of boots and clean up the disaster left behind in the wake of Taz. I'm sure the clerks did not shed any tears upon their departure. Here's a pic of the boots, they are Riley Shaw Huber approved = )


As for the rest of the weekend, it was filled with chores, meetings, and lots of outdoor time. I think everyone's favorite was the model airplane show out at Clinton Lake. Some of the planes were actually quite large. I think the biggest one was almost 5 foot long! The boys thoroughly enjoyed watching them take off and land and do various aerobatics and loop-de-loops. Gage again did his best Tatoo impersonation by consistently pointing upward and yelling - Airplane! Airplane! No matter how many times I hear him say that, it never gets old because each time is filled with as much enthusiasm as the last. However, after a while it was almost too much for Riley and Gage to take. They wanted to go in the restricted area to play with and "drive" the planes, which was obviously not a possibility. So, then it was time to go, plus it was almost lunch time. All of the excitement must've really worn Gage out as he was zonking out in his carseat. However, like magic, once we were in the drive-thru to pick up some lunch for Corey and the boys (not me, I have my healthy diet stuff at home) Gage popped up and began chanting "fry, fry ... fry, fry" until he had his beloved snacks in his eager little hands.


Oh, and speaking of my diet - - after 7 days of medication and strict adherence to my new mealplans I lost 5 pounds! I don't want to get my expectations up, because I realize it is not realistic to lose that much each week consistently, but it sure does help keep my spirits up! Especially when the boys are eating burgers and fries; Corey's barbecuing his special cajun cream cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped jalapenos; or our neighbor Vicki brings over her made from scratch, amazingly moist, chocolate cake with to-die-for chocolate fudge frosting - - the immediate progress helps me stay far away from these temptations. Okay, okay ... I did have a bite of the cake, but only one bite. If you've ever had the pleasure of tasting this awesome dessert, you understand that it not something that can be denied. Thankfully, Corey and the boys quickly demolished the 3 huge pieces she brought over, so my willpower will not have to be tested any further = )

On a final note, with winter on the way, we decided the boys needed some houseshoes to keep their tootsies toasty. We found the perfect ones. I wish I had audio of the boys delighted declarations when we revealed them to them .... Cars, Cars, Cars!!!! Eeeeeeeeeeellllllmmmmoooooo!!!! Too cute = )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work on your diet...before you know it you'll be back into your "blue jean with turquoise stone" bikini. Ha...I was reminiscing through some old photos yesterday (when I finally had some free mommy time) and came across the "lake weekend" trip the Rath's and Huber's took a few years ago (pre kidz of course). I can't remember for sure but think it might have been in 2002 or 2003? Anyway--Jenny--I found a great picture of you in your turquoise studded two piece. --woo hoo. What a hotty! It was taken on the boat we rented and then parked in in a cove outside of the Party cove..remember?! Gees we've had some great times :) Remember Corey trying so hard to get up on one Ski..and that boat had no power so drowned him every time...he he heee! Anyway--I've pulled that picture out and will be getting it to you..for extra incentive ;)~ I've found some pics of myself to use for extra incent as well....to somehow get my baby fat off too..so hard to do!

The Scott's said...

Jen I am sooo totaly sorry about the cake, I just plum forgot your diet, but I have to spoil the boys (all three) when I make it. Next time maybe I can figure out how to make it less fatting.

Vicki