Monday, March 28, 2011

Riley stuff that's on my mind ...

Our schedule has been jam-packed, so there are a ton of things I could post about right now and pictures I could upload, but I have a few things on my mind that I just need to get out now. My dear mom will tell me not to worry until there's something to worry about. I love that about her, she keeps me grounded. Unfortunately, that is just not how I'm wired. I worry and plan until I know there's nothing to worry about and/or plan for.

Anyhow, there's a couple of issues that I'm worried about, anxious about, and excited about.

First, tomorrow we are once again visiting the ENT's (ear doctor's) office. Riley suffered numerous ear infections again this winter and his eardrum finally burst a couple of weeks ago. At his 5 year checkup, the drum was healing, but once again his right ear was filled with fluid. In addition to this, his pre-school teacher mentioned that he seems to be asking her, as well as other teachers and students, to repeat themselves almost constantly. We have been noticing this at home also. So, hopefully, the hearing loss is just due to the drum still healing and the fluid in his ear muffling the sound waves and not something else. In the meantime, I will fret and pray.

Second, on Friday the 1st, I will be taking Riley back to our family doctor for a biopsy. He has a very dark mole on the palm of his hand that appeared about a year ago. It started very small and no one thought it was of much concern. However, at his 5 year checkup I pointed it out to the doc again and she was a bit taken with how much it has grown. It's now just smaller than a pencil eraser. She did say she isn't overly concerned with it at this point since it has a pretty regular shape and no extending lines radiating from it ... but still, it's an odd place to have a mole and the increase in size should be checked. Hopefully, it's nothing. But, again, in the meantime, I will fret and pray.

Next, we will be venturing to the kindergarten round-up in April. I can hardly believe my little Rileybug will be starting kindergarten this year! I am so excited for this next milestone! He is so smart and makes friends so easily, so I'm not very worried about that. But, along with his intelligence comes a VERY strong will coupled with INTENSE curiosity. Sometimes this can be a challenge for authority figures and Riley. So, I pray that he ends up with a teacher who is willing to listen to him (and me) so he can be the BEST boy he can be. In the meantime, I will fret. And pray.

No comments: