Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Gage: Caring, Confusion, and the Creeps!

Caring: So, after all of the rain we have been having, it is not unusual to find a large earthworm or 20 that have wriggled their little bodies into our garage to escape their flooded homes in the yard. Well, the other day we happened upon a worm that was getting batted around like a ball by one of our cats. I told the boys, "Let's get that worm from Winston and put him out of his misery." Bad choice of words -- I meant get the worm and put him outside to save him from being a kitty toy. Do you see where this is going? Before I could say stop or no or anything, Gage promptly says, "I do it!" Then he runs over and squishes the life out of the poor worm with his foot. Nice. I will choose my words much more carefully next time!

Confusion: It's 8:30 am at the Huber house on a Saturday morning and we are getting ready to run our typical weekend errands. Corey is heading to Home Depot for some items and I'm on grocery duty. We let the boys decide which of us they would like to accompany. Riley opts to go with daddy as he loves checking out all of the cool "man stuff" at Home Depot; Gage chooses to go with mommy as he is a bit of a "foodie" and honestly enjoys helping pick stuff out (the free cookie from the bakery doesn't hurt either!) Anyhow, as we are heading our separate directions, Gage asks me again where Riley and Daddy are going. I answer, "the hardware store." He immediately starts bawling -- huge raindrop tears and banshee wails. His heart was obviously broken and I could not for the life of me figure out why. After all, Riley is my tool guy, Gage's interest in these items typically wanes quickly. I finally get him somewhat calmed down and ask him to tell me why he is so upset. He utters, with his little lower lip trembling while still sniffling, "I want to go the Star Wars store! I want to see rocket ships!" Awww, poor little fella! Again, I will choose my words more wisely next time!

The Creeps: Each night, somewhere around 4:00ish, Gage makes his way into our room to "nuggle." Even though I often lament this habit, I secretly love it, too. Especially waking up and seeing his cute little angel self zonked out beside me so peacefully. Plus, if he wakes up before me, he usually says "love you momma" and gives me a big ol' hug before announcing he needs a snack or sausage or eggs or lucky charms, etc. (Did I mention this kid is a bit of a foodie - yeah, it's almost always the first thing out of his mouth each morning right after his greeting.) Anyhow, yesterday morning was different. As I'm laying there already awake, trying to make my body get up to go exercise at 5:30 am, I notice Gage intently staring up at the ceiling. I ask him what he's looking at. He says, "Momma, there's a man up in that wall." What? I try to get him to clairfy as I see nothing that could even remotely resemble a man. "Momma, there's a man up there with a brown hat on. He's up there working." Ok, so now I'm officially freaked out and am staring up into the air conditioning vents. I wake Corey and tell him about this and he looks at me like I'm crazy. I ask him to please check the attic. He now looks at me like I'm even crazier and assures me no one is up there. I know Corey's right, but it still gives me the heebie geebies regardless. Guess I've seen too many scary movies. In the meantime, if I'm not blogging for an extended period of time, you may want to tell the police to look for a guy in a brown hat!!!

No comments: