Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Week O' Fun: Day 3

Um, I know I said this in my last post, but SERIOUSLY! we need to win the lottery. I soooo want to be a stay at home mom. Corey has even mentioned it several times the past couple of days of how much smoother everything is and less stressful. Don't get me wrong. I love my job and am thankful for it. Heck, I even have such a great boss that he has offered to let me have every Wednesday morning off during golf season (and not charge it against my sick leave or vacation time) as I will be working every Friday by myself. He's the boss, he definitely didn't have to offer that, but he did 'cuz he's cool like that = ) But nothing compares to spending my days with my kiddos and watching them learn and grow and just be awesome. Oh well, enough of that, let's get back to another day of adventure!

Getting ready for the excitement ahead. Of course we can't leave the house without our trusty pirate sword and favorite 'copter. That just wouldn't be kosher!

We started the day off with a trip to the Museum of Natural History which is located on the KU Campus. First let it be noted, we have not ventured here before because I always, and I mean always, get lost on KU campus. Heck, I even worked at a bookstore there for a couple of years and still get lost. Well, true to form, I got us lost on our way today. I tried to be prepared and printed off directions and a map, but of course, left them on the table at home. Luckily a very sweet and understanding lady at an info booth guided me in the right direction and we were gung ho from there!


Before we got to the museum, we had to park in a parking garage. Typically this is nothing of note, but this particular garage had a huge elevator with a glass wall where you could see the outside while you are travelling up and down. Pure joy for Riley who loves elevators anyway. Pure terror for Gage who is less than fond of them. Unluckily for him, we rode in several elevators throughout the day as the museum has 6 floors and with 2 toddlers and a bum ankle the stairs got bypassed a couple of times. It did not get easier as one would hope. Thankfully the boys fully enjoyed the exhibits which hopefully erased the dreaded elevator rides from Gage's memory.

Checking out one of the Jayhawk statues. Hope it was okay that the boys climbed on up!
Gage's turn.

Entering the Museum. We do nothing the easy way. We must climb and conquer!

One of many interesting fossils.

This was a huge tunnel that depicted what it's like to be a worm. That's grass and dandelions above. Riley is sticking his head out of a wormhole. The stringy stuff below is supposed to be roots in the ground. You can't see it here, but there was also a huge stuffed worm inside as well. Fun!

Checking out a suspended dinosaur.
A better view. Neat, huh?
Some more bones.
From here we headed home and had a nice lunch with daddy. Then all 3 of us took a nap in mommy's bed. There's not much better than laying in bed in the middle of the afternoon with the windows wide open, listening to the birds chirp and your sons snore while you doze off for a little catnap = )
After we awoke from our slumber, we headed out for some ice cream and another afternoon at the park. Yay! What a perfect day!

You can't see it here, but there was a girl about 6-7 years old that was a bit of a bully around the park. Gage was just up there checking out the view before sliding down when she came up behind him and said, "You're a baby. You can't go down here. Move." Well, my little feisty boy did not take this lightly and replied, "No! You stop it! I no baby! My turn!" The girl turned around and went elsewhere. Well, I guess I don't have to worry about him being bullied. He didn't care how old or big she was, he's not going to take any guff from anyone! Love it~

Getting ready to go down the slide. A sweet smile of anticipation.

My red-headed angel Gage, don't you just love that face?!
Wow, here's a crazy "I'm hopped up on sugar and adrenaline" face!
Watch out world, here comes Riley!
Gager climbing what he called the "Fireman Ladder."
After all of this playing, we headed down to see the beloved black train to nowhere that we pass by every day. The boys were so excited to go in this train and got their little hearts broken. You see, you used to be able to go into a small compartment at the front of the engine and see the inner workings of the locomotive. We actually checked it out last fall. At that time we also stumbled upon some drug paraphanelia and what looked like a "transient's" belongings. I'm sure this type of stuff is why my little boys no longer get to enjoy the thrill of being inside this cool landmark. That makes me sad. But, they survived after I wiped their tears away and they enjoyed the view from outside the fence.


After this great journey we did the usual and headed home to fix dinner for daddy. We had a fun picnic in the backyard and soaked up the last rays of the sun. While we were eating, this lovely dove decided to stop by and snack at our birdfeeder. Just wanted to share this pic.

The forecast is calling for rain tomorrow. We'll have to see what kind of fun we rustle up under the roof. I'm so looking forward to it = )

1 comment:

Janie said...

Jenny,thanks soooo much for posting the adventures. Wish we could be with you guys, but at least this way we can go along for the ride with ya a bit:)
looking forward to what comes next!
love Mom:)