Sunday, December 7, 2008

Twinkling Lights and Twinkling Stars

'Tis the season for holiday shopping. I know for most people this is a great source of enjoyment, but those who know me well, know that I am not much of a shopper. I like the idea of it and I love to give things to others, I just don't have the patience for all of the non-sense and rudeness that seems to come along this time of year from, I'm sure, otherwise reasonable people. Now, if I had the clout to have an entire store shut down for a couple hours like a famous rock star or movie star, then I could probably really get into the whole shopping experience. However, that is obviously not going to happen, so Saturday I decided to suck it up and brave the crowds for a little while. After hopping around a couple of places we ended up at Sam's Club in Topeka for a few necessities -- namely diapers and wipes. You can get 176 Huggies diapers for around $35.00. I know this probably sounds like a lot, but with our super-poopers that amount won't even last a month between our house and daycare. Anyhow, we can't stop in that store without Corey getting his enormous vat of nacho cheese, a jumbo-sized jar of jalapeno peppers, and a humongous box of tortilla chips. It is ridiculous. The only thing more ridiculous than purchasing these items is the fact that he will consume every last bit of it in less than a month and not gain an ounce. The man has a serious hankering for nachos. Uggh! I love Corey, but I am seriously, insanely jealous of his metabolism and a bit flustered by his ambivalence to how just one little serving of his beloved snack would immediately add 2 inches and a couple of dimples to my derriere. I mention this, because as he is devouring his nacho mountains, he never fails to inquire if I would like some. What? Remember me, honey? I'm dieting!!!! Oh well, he loves me regardless of my flaws, so I should just be happy with that and quit whining, right? Ok, done ... for now.

So anyhow, after shopping we stopped by Red Lobster for a bite to eat (so much for that diet,) then headed out to the Winter Wonderland light display at Lake Shawnee just outside of Topeka. It was really pretty cool. It's a drive-thru park with hundreds of lighted Christmas displays in varying themes. I tried to take a couple of pictures, but they are a little blurred and really don't do the place justice. The boys were in awe! I wish I could have tape recorded all of their shouted and excited phrases. There were tons of "oooooh's" and "aaaaaaah's" and "looks" but my personal favorite was, "Look, those deer, they're, they're, they're ... kicking!" (Riley's utterance upon viewing a light display of Santa's reindeer in flight pulling his sleigh) " Upon leaving, however, poor Riley's little heart got broken. He did NOT want to leave. He cried and cried wanting to go back and see more. We might have obliged him if the line to get in didn't have about a 30 minute wait. Luckily time did heal his distressed little soul about the time we arrived at Lawrence's city limits. Yes, it was a long drive, I will definitely have to give him earlier reminders next time so he can transition more easily for all of our sakes! = )

Finally, we'll leave you with a couple of videos. It is amazing to think that at this time last year, Riley could hardly talk and basically had to re-learn all the words he thought he knew because he had not been hearing correctly for most of his first year and a half. Now he sings and counts and says abc's and oftentimes just jibber jabbers and tells stories. Thank goodness for Jessica and all of her co-workers at Tiny-K for helping and guiding us! Anyhow, here is a video of him singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Of course, he sings it normal and perfect 20 times a day, but the minute I put a camera on him he gets all squirrely. Oh well, that's my boy! And, of course, anything big brother does, little bro needs to do, too. So you are also getting treated to crazy, can't sit still, monkey-boy Gage's rendition as well ... not bad for a 1 1/2 year old, though = )

5 comments:

Debbie said...

how sweet it is to have those cute little boys to entertain you. definitely cheaper and more entertaining than a concert.

Anonymous said...

O.K. Jenny your Dad and I have watched the videos about two million times now and we are not even close to bein done as far as I'm concerned.
God I LOVE these videos!!!!!!
I also watched little Coopers dancin video,too too cute:)
thank you,thank you,thank you
later,love Mom:)

Louise said...

Jen: Love the videos you post. How cute.
Louise

Rath Family said...

Loved seeing the Videos---Riley has certainly grown up this year that's for sure...amazing how time flies. Missing the Huber's!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny i love the boys that was the cutest thing that i have ever seen! They are growing up so fast!