Monday, July 13, 2009

Common Phrases ...

There are several phrases that are spoken in our home more than a few times each day by Riley and Gage. Here are a couple that continually seem to tickle our funnybones:

Phrase 1 - "I want both!"

My parenting books advise me to give my toddlers choices to help them feel empowered and avoid some of the typical frustration/no control tantrums. Luckily my boys aren't much for throwing tantrums, but the situation does occasionally arise. So, I try to employ this choice tactic on a daily basis to help us all out. It worked well with Riley, but little Gager has outsmarted me. Here's a typical back and forth ...

Me: Gage, would you like choice A (insert any food or toy here) or would you like choice B (insert any other food or toy here)?

Gage: I want both.

Me: No, honey, you get to choose only one. The one you like best. Which would you like?

Gage: I want BOTH.

Me: Gage, you're a big boy and you get to choose your favorite. Do you choose "A" or "B"?

Gage: I want BOTH!!!!

Seriously, my books said nothing about this. Some help!


Phrase 2: "We'll probably have to get that!"

In the evenings after all of our activities, part of our nightly wind down routine is watching Noggin or one of the Nickelodeon channels. These stations are fantastic for parents of toddlers and pre-schoolers. They have exceptional educational programs that teach manners, problem solving, teamwork, shapes, colors, and the like. However, they slip in these wonderful little commercials sometimes between programs for such products as Bendaroos, the Rocket Fishing Pole, Paperoni's, and Bump-It's. Each time one of these brilliant little commercial/infomercial segments appears you are sure to hear the following conversation:

Riley: Cool! We'll probably have to get that!

Me: Hmmmm, probably not.

Riley: Probably, we will. Just look mom. We NEED that.

Me: Maybe, but probably not. (Yes, this is my own fault for leaving that tiny possibility of hope.)

Riley. Yes, we'll probably get that. It'll be soooo fun! (The boy is nothing if not hopeful!)

So, with going over these same conversations and situations each day, one would think that we would get tired of it. But, we don't. Sometimes we maybe get a bit exasperated, but then we just sit back and enjoy the routine. Because, after all, we're getting to interact with two of the greatest people on this earth and watch their little minds work. It's amazing really. They're 2 and 3. Just one short year ago this type of back and forth didn't even seem possible. Riley and Gage are both growing and learning so fast it sometimes takes me by surprise. Even with the repetition, new elements are always being added. Even with all of the complaining I sometimes do, it is still the highlight of my day, every day, to come home to this. I thank God for my sweet little family = )

No comments: